Re: How to automatic restore alsamixer settings with alsa-utils?

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 09:54:45AM +0200, Tim Ruehsen wrote:
> on my SID system, I experience that alsamixer settings are not restored after
> booting. It looks like /etc/rcS.d/S50alsa-utils is called at the wrong time
> (too early?). Because after rebooting I can restore alsamixer settings just
> by calling '/etc/init.d/alsa-utils start' or alternatively by calling
> 'alsactl restore'.
>
> And yes, alsa-utils is called while booting (I can see it's output).

I experienced the same problem. When alsa-utils was called, the driver
module for my sound card was not loaded yet. alsa-utils wouldn't trigger
autoloading of the module either, so it failed to restore the mixer
settings.  The module was autoloaded later, probably when KDE started up.

My solution was to load the module explicitly in /etc/modules, so it
gets loaded before /etc/init.d/alsa-utils is called.  Installing
discover or hotplug might also help, although I haven't tried this.

There is some documentation at the top of /etc/init.d/alsa, and also in
/usr/share/doc/alsa*/ .

Mirko