package configuration blocked by double free error

Every time an install or upgrade attempts to configure I get this error:
*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!prev): 0x089a79c8 ***

The problems this is causing are rapidly spreading.  debconf in now not
installed properly, most installs don't configure for that reason alone.

I filed a bug http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=323849,
but I'm increasingly convinced the package I filed it against was just
an accidental bystander.

I suspect the problem arises from the fact that I've pulled some
unstable packages, in particular glibc, into my mostly testing system.
I'd appreciate any advice, including how to fix or at least better
diagnose this problem.

Thanks.

--
Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 502-4031
530 Parnassus Avenue (Library) rm 115-4          ross@biostat.ucsf.edu