How to set LC_NUMERIC so applications use it?

Hi

I set in bashrc that LC_NUMRIC=C so I don't have to write numbers like:
1,323 but 1.323

This is ok if I start gnumeric, gimp or similar programs from an xterm.
The problem is that if I start the same applications from a menu (either
from gnome or form my home made desktop which uses fbpanel).

I would be very very very happy if somebody could help me with this as I
have tried a lot of approches, but no solution :-(

Thanks in advance

Preben