Re: boot logging

marc on 20/08/05 16:43, wrote:
Wackojacko said...

Adam writes:

OK. I'm with you so far. Now that I seem to have boot logging working, where is the actual output? Checking in /var/log didn't reveal anything.

According to man, the default output is /var/log/boot but I don't have one.

From the bootlogd script, it seems that bootlogd is being started without any options, so the default log file should be where it goes.

Man does say intriguingly:

Bootlogd tries to parse the kernel command line, looking for console= lines and deducts the real console device from that. If that syntax is ever changed by the kernel, or a console-type is used bootlogd does not know about, bootlogd will not work.

Could that be what is happening?

I have the same problem with Bootlog. AFAIK its due to udev renaming the console just as you described above. If you watch the very bootlog messages you are trying to capture you should see an error saying something like 'bootlogd: ioctl (/dev/ttyzf, TIOCCONS): Bad file descriptor '. I have yet to find a solution to this problem myself. This may not be your problem, but at least it could save you some wasted time if it is :).

I see this same message. This is on a clean Debian 3.1 install with 2.6.8 kernel.

This is with the line in
/etc/default/bootlogd
set to =Yes
and bootlogd off in the rcx.d scripts

I can enable the service in the runlevel - which creates the bootlog file - but it starts too late to produce a useful list of messages.

bootlogd configured itself as S20 in the boot scripts and stop_bootlogd is S99. Is that what the issue is?

It works for me now with 2.6.12

Adam

I've scoured the Debian docs - FAQ, Install, User, Reference - and failed to find a reference to the bootlog.

Where is this process documented? Particularly, the use of /etc/default/bootlogd

See also:

http://www.golden-gryphon.com/cgi-bin/archzoom.cgi/srivasta@debian.org--
2005-selinux/sysvinit--upstream--2.0--base-0/contrib/TODO

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/349486

--
Linux 2.6.11 Debian