Re: how-to for using xfwm4 and ROX?

On (17/08/05 20:48), Albert wrote:
> Clive Menzies wrote:
> >On (17/08/05 10:18), Albert wrote:
> >
> >>I can find no documentation for using a window manager other than
> >>xdm, e.g. xfwm4 with ROX.  I don't want either Gnome or KDE. Can
> >>anyone here point me in the right direction.  X Windows was up
> >>and running before I installed these two packages. Now I just get
> >>a gray screen and no pop up menus.  Also, some script has
> >>hijacked my text login and replaced it with a graphical login. I
> >>prefer to startx myself.  Thanks ahead for any help.
> >

> >It sounds as though you need to install xfce4.2 to give you a windows
> >environment.
> >
> >I believe it's included in sarge but it is in sid and works well here ;)
> >
> >There is a sarge source at:
> >
> >http://www.os-works.com/view/debian/
>
> Thanks, Clive.  I went to that link and installed from there, but
> what happened is not what I had in mind.  I just want the window
> manager to use with ROX as a desktop.  BTW, after installing, it
> is impossible to reboot without ctrl-alt-delete.  I was forced
> into a login-logout-login loop.

Well xfwm4 is the window manager module of xfce4.  When I got impatient
with KDE I looked at several desktop environments including icewm,
fluxbox, flwm, fvwm and more but most were a bit too minimalist for my
taste.  xfce4 seemed a good compromise between functionality and speed.

There've been a few threads on wm choices and it save you some legworg
if you see what other people recommend.

apt-cache search window manager  will show you many choices ;)

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...