Re: Cannot enable executable stack

07-08-2005, 01:40 +0200, Nils Durner wrote:
> after a online update using dselect, some programs (wget, sendmail,
> mutt, qpopper...) fail with
> ---
> mutt: error while loading shared libraries: libgcrypt.so.11: cannot
> enable executable stack as shared object requires: Error 14
> in.qpopper: error while loading shared libraries: libgdbm.so.3: cannot
> enable executable stack as shared object requires: Error 14

I have this problem too. It seems that it's related to libc6 upgrade to
2.3.5. Do you have kernel patched with PaX/grsecurity? The new libc6
version is probably somehow incompatible with this patch [1].

At first I had this error with programs dependent on libacl1 (like
coreutils) - upgrading libacl1 and libattr1 to unstable's versions
apparently fixed them. But upgrading libgcrypt didn't help with mutt and
other programs linked with libgcrypt.

As a temporary solution, if you use PaX, you can disable memory
protection with 'chpax -m `which mutt`', etc - but it's rather
workaround and might affect your security negatively in the long term.

Does anybody know any details about this bug - whose fault it is and
if/when it'll be fixed?

[1] http://forums.grsecurity.net/viewtopic.php?t=1152