NFS problem with debian installation

I am having a problem with a debian install using nfs and a floppy boot.
I am trying to install woody (bf2.4 flavor) on an old 486 with 24M ram
(Compaq Prolinea 4/66).  I am using PLIP as the machine has no network
card and no cdrom.  This target machine is connected via PLIP to a source
machine (686 with 256M ram) running sarge (kernel 2.6).  The source
machine has a cdrom with the debian install cd.  The start of the
installation goes fine: boot up with floppies and install driver floppies
and the the network.  Can ping the two machines.   The problem starts
with installing the base system - the initial nfs mount works and
the target machine reads the file structure on the source machine (I
can tell since the the cdrom on the source is running). But after
reading in the cd file structure, the installer prompts for the
install directory (/instmnt).  When I accept the default, nfs dies.
dmesg on the target says
   "nfs: server 192.168.1.1 not responding, still trying"
If I try to do "ls" on the target, it just hangs and the only thing
that I can do is reboot and start over.  Why is nfs dying at this point.
I have tried stopping and restarting the nfs-kernel-server on the
source machine with no results.

Note: The above problem happens with the bf2.4 (2.4 kernel) flavor of
woody.  I can install the base system just fine with the vanilla
(2.2 kernel) flavor of woody.  Any ideas?

--
Michael Gass
Department of Mathematics