Re: Need help with exim4 SMTP Auth (I think)

On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 03:56:02PM -0600, pecondon@mesanetworks.net wrote:

> found anything that looks like SMTP Authentication in the exim4
> documentation on my machine. Is it a new feature? Or does exim4 refer

I'm no expert on this, but I did manage to get exim delivering through
GMail which requires SMTP authentication.  I started with:

dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

And choose to relay via a smarthost, and receive locally via fetchmail,
and filled in other paramaters as appropriate.

After that, I did some editing of /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template.  I
don't remember exactly what I did, but looking through the file, I see
these lines that look relevant:

remote_smtp_smarthost:
  debug_print = "T: remote_smtp_smarthost for $local_part@$domain"
  driver = smtp
#  hosts_try_auth = ${if exists {CONFDIR/passwd.client}{DCsmarthost}{}}
  tls_tempfail_tryclear = false
  hosts_require_auth = smtp.gmail.com
  hosts_require_tls = smtp.gmail.com
  port = 587

I think I commented out the line because GMail requires authentication,
and added hosts_require_auth.

This is only a template used to generate the actual configuration file
if you're using Debian's way of managing the exim configuration, so
after that you have to run:

# update-exim4.conf

I think.  Also, you have to put the authentication information in
/etc/exim4/passwd.client.  Here are my GMail lines:

smtp.gmail.com:awfabian@gmail.com:password
gmail-smtp.l.google.com:awfabian@gmail.com:password

This took a little digging, because I connected to smtp.gmail.com, and I
don't know exactly what exim did, but I had to run it with some
diagnostics to find out that my authentication was failing because after
using smtp.gmail.com for the address, it thought it was connected to
gmail-smtp.l.google.com.  I don't know if it came from a reverse DNS
lookup or what.  If you get some pretty mysterious failure, you might
have something like that going on.

--
Adam Fabian <awfabian@gmail.com>