Accessing a program started in another term

Lets say, I'm at work and I start a remote session for an interactive program, like octave. Then I go home with and my remote terminal session and the octave program are still running at work. Is there a way for me to take control of that terminal and interact with the running octave program? I use octave as an example but I'm looking for solution (if it exists) that would be generally applicable.

Colin