Re: Multihomed - seperate subnets...

Simon wrote:
> >>This is pinging from my home IP address to the offending
> >>server behind our router... The packets are clearly getting
> >>to the box, but i get no ping back to home.
> >
> >Your linux box is using the other NIC for gw.

But if you are pinging an address on the other interface then the
packets will be routed there because of the route to the subnet
there.  The default gateway would only be used if the IP address did
not match an existing subnet on an interface.

This basically says that Simon needs to say more about his network
configuration and what he is trying to achieve.

> >Add a static route for your home net to go back out via eth1 to get
> >packets to return via that path.
>
> Confirmed what i was thinking. But what i think i need is for all
> traffic coming in to eth1, to go back out the primary interface eth0.
> (This is a hosting box).
>
> Is that correct?

I think this should not be needed.  But it all depends upon what you
are doing.  Asymmetrical routing is allowed.  But it is one of those
things that if you asking about it but not knowing about it then you
almost certainly do not want to use it.  You only want it when you
already know you want it.  :-)

I originally read the message and thought when you said dual homed
that you would have two different subnets on two different
interfaces.  That would be fairly normal.  But now reading the
followups it seems that you have both interfaces on the same subnet?
Why?  That can work but is more specialized.  Again, unless you
already know what you want you almost never want this.

If you want multiple IPs on a subnet a better alternative is to use a
virtual interface (e.g. eth0:1) to host that IP address.

Bob