Alternative to mkisofs graft points

I am trying to hammer out some commands to backup my drive to DVD.  I
would like to place one or two partitons on each dvd as space allows.
This is the command I tried first:

growisofs -z /dev/dvd /home /usr

This almost gave me what I wanted but I lost the home and usr
directories and only got their contents.  I know I can use
graft-points to place their contents in separate directories but I
still lose the permissions and such for the directory.  Is there a way
I can dump the whole directory including the directory to the disk?
Or even to dump the whole partition the same way.  Being able to dump
the partition would be nice for when I back up the root partition.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated