Re: cdda2wav giving more than 700 MB of wav files

Apparently, _Brendon Lloyd Higgins_, on 24/06/05 00:56,typed:
> H. S. wrote (Friday 24 June 2005 8:23 am):
>
>>While making a backup a music CD, I noticed that I am getting around
>>728MB of wav files from the original.
>

> If I understand the process correctly, this is entirely normal. You see, a
> given CD can either have up to 700MB of data or up to 80mins of audio. But
> 80mins of audio equates to 807.5MB of data!
>
> The reason for this is that in data mode a whole bunch of error-checking data
> is interspersed with the real data on the CD, and naturally the
> error-checking data takes up space. In audio mode this error-checking data is
> considered unnecessary and is not used, freeing space for more audio. If you
> were to add in the same error-checking to an audio CD you'd lose more than 10
> minutes of available audio time.
>
> The quality flag of cdda2wav probably has no relation to the file size. WAV is
> a raw, uncompressed file type, so the size of a wav file for a given duration
> of audio is exactly predictable, (44100 samples/sec, 2 channels, 2
> bytes/channel/sample. The size in bytes is then 44100 * 2 * 2 * duration in
> seconds.) If you want something smaller you'll have to look into some sort of
> compressed format. If for your purposes a lossy format is adequate, I'd
> suggest Ogg Vorbis. Otherwise, FLAC might be good (though it is larger than
> Vorbis, they're both smaller than WAV).
>
> Hope that helps,
> Brendon

Your informative reply and this page:
http://linux.math.tifr.res.in/manuals/text/xcdroast.txt
helped me clearly understand what is going on in audio CD writing. After
going through this information, I was confidently able to back up a few
of my audio CDs which gave me wav files amounting to more than 700MB of
data.

Many thanks for your nice explanation.
->HS

--
Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address
to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.