Re: Finding the origin of a package installed by APT

Steven J. Murdoch wrote:

In this particular example, it's not that much of a problem since they
both came from the Debian project, but say a third-party APT
repository publishes a package with the same version number as an
official Debian package. If that repository goes offline, how can I
find out whether the package came from Debian or from the third party?

I suppose that if you include in sources.list to the old distribution
archive repositories (which I think goes at least as far back as slink)
then any packages which still aren't recognized are presumably from a
third party repository.  (This is a prime example of why I was disappointed
to learn that some of the old dist archives will be going to source only.)