RE: apt-get install won't recover from removal of apache directory in /etc/

Okay:  It was me that moved the directory to the wrong place:  /apache.
When I put it back, it does recover fine.  Here's the diagnostic when I take
it away:

# apt-get install apache
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  apache
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/384kB of archives.
After unpacking 717kB of additional disk space will be used.
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package apache.
(Reading database ... 29712 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking apache (from .../apache_1.3.33-6_i386.deb) ...
grep: /etc/apache/httpd.conf: No such file or directory
Stopping web server: apacheNo process in pidfile `/var/run/apache.pid' found
running; none killed.
.
Setting up apache (1.3.33-6) ...
Not replacing deleted config file /etc/apache/httpd.conf
Not replacing deleted config file /etc/apache/srm.conf
Not replacing deleted config file /etc/apache/access.conf
Not replacing deleted config file /etc/apache/modules.conf
Can't open config file /etc/apache/httpd.conf.
No such file or directory
Can't open config file /etc/apache/httpd.conf.
No such file or directory
/var/lib/dpkg/info/apache.postinst: line 7: /etc/apache/httpd.conf: No such
file or directory
/var/lib/dpkg/info/apache.postinst: line 7: /etc/apache/httpd.conf: No such
file or directory
/var/lib/dpkg/info/apache.postinst: line 7: /etc/apache/httpd.conf: No such
file or directory
/var/lib/dpkg/info/apache.postinst: line 7: /etc/apache/httpd.conf: No such
file or directory
grep: /etc/apache/httpd.conf: No such file or directory
Configuration syntax error detected. Not reloading.

fopen: No such file or directory
apache: could not open document config file /etc/apache/httpd.conf
invoke-rc.d: initscript apache, action "start" failed.

I'm taking the bus home in a minute, but I'll be at xeno@eskimo.com there.