Re: One time deal: Backup of raid5 to set of removeable hard drives on another machine?

On Tuesday 21 June 2005 10:10 pm, Ugo Bellavance wrote:

> If I understand correctly, the problem is that you have 2 removeable
> drives and you can't mount them both at the same time, and one isn't
> sufficient to contain all the data right?

 that is indeed a much simpler way of saying it!

i also want to get the data  split into 2 parts.

I decided to take the easy way out -

i will take the directory and its 13,000 subdirectories, and write a simple
perl script to tar/gzip each subdirectory and scp it to the backup drive, and
stop after doing each 1000 and check size on the destination.

kind of like the way man pages are stored as tar.gz files.

i will first do sort the directory by time and use the mathematical "
Birkhoff's ergodic theorem"  (the statement that the time average should =
the space average) to assume i am doing the getting a random ordering by size
of directories....

Mitchell