Setting up a Java development environment the debian way.

I have decided the time has come to learn java and use it to develop some web
based applications.  In particular I have a family tree project I want to
conduct.

I am a complete newbie as far as java is concerned.

I have two debian environments.

Server:  Runs Sarge - and is running Apache2 and Postgres.  I will want the
ultimate application to run on here (on Tomcat?) and provide its UI via the
web site and use Postgres database to store its data.

Apache runs several virtual hosts - one is my current external web site for
http: access, and also a separate one for https: access I also run two
internal (to my lan web sites).  Since I want my relatives to be able to add
information to my family try from external - I will use one of them for my
"production" version of the application (depends on security controls I
decide to adopt).  I will also run the "development" version of the
application on one of the internal web sites.

Workstation:  Runs Debian Unstable with KDE as my desktop.

So my questions are:

1) What tools do I need to develop the application.   This includes code
editiing, build environment, unit testing, I tried to setup eclipse on my
workstation but there are unsatisfied dependencies (java runtime?).

[Assume I can choose my configuration management environment - subversion
probably (and especially if its integrated into an IDE) - but I am also
considering others]

2) What run time environment

[I am assuming from my current position of ignorance that I want to develop
servlets and jsp pages for this application].

Obviously all this from standard debian packages if that is possible

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk