Re: aptitude errors

--- Robert Wolfe <robert@bufonline.dyndns.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Dean Montgomery wrote:
>
> > I am unable to get aptitude to work.
> >
> > ===========================
> > root@nagios:/var/cache/apt# aptitude install cacti
> > Reading Package Lists... Done
> > Building Dependency Tree
> > Reading extended state information
> > Initializing package states... Done
> > Reading task descriptions... Done
> > 2 packages upgraded, 32 newly installed, 0 to remove and 121 not
> > upgraded.
> > Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 74.1MB will be used.
> > Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
> > Writing extended state information... Error!
> > E: I wasn't able to locate file for the nagios-plugins package.
> This
> > might mean you need to manually fix this package.
> > E: Couldn't lock list directory..are you root?
> > ============================
> >
> > I am root.
> >
> > I ran aptitude update s
>
> Why not try using the apt-get program instead?

I haven't followed the thread from the begining, so excuse me if I
repeat anything already said.

I love aptitude as an apt-get interface because it removes useless
packages. For example, after the Gnome upgrade (2.10) it removed all of
the gstreamer packages. I am not sure if I ever used them (I am a KDE
user) but at least thats a few dozens of MBs freed ;). apt-get never
does that. However, with aptitude, I got into some problems a while
back. Some bugs I guess. So I switched to Synaptic. Very good graphical
front-end. However, I run "aptitude upgrade" from time to time so that
it would remove any useless packages left as Synaptic doesn't do a very
good job at that.

If that doesn't help, try and clear the apt cache "apt-get clean".

HTH,
ib