Re: Kde-KNotify Problem

On Tuesday 21 Jun 2005 18:20, Debian User Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> I can login to kde with 18-20 KNotify messages popping up and if I
> select and click OK on the notification popup or
> try to close out ktips, the system freezes up or at best operates in
> super slow motion
>  There also are 8 blue gear shaped icons in the panel
> which wont do anything when selected or clicked.

Sounds like your session has got messed up, so that it's infinitely filling up
with new programs to run.

First thing I would do it log in at the console, and look at your Xsession
logs.  You might find some error messages that point out the problem in
there.

Otherwise, you could try running a simple script like:

  while true; do pkill knotify; sleep 5s; done

at the console, and then logging, with that command looping at the console to
keep things under control.  If you can figure out what the name of the
program is that displays blue gear icons, you could also add a pkill command
for that to the loop.

Another option is simply to delete that user's .kde folder, or the session
files within that folder (if you can find them).  Be careful if you have ANY
important data in KDE, though.

--
Lee.

Please do not CC replies directly to me.  I'll read them on the list.