Re: I did not get any reply, so I must have done something wrong, Is this issue solved?

Hi. I see two problems in your setup, but I have no idea of whether they relate to your problem:

1) Kernel 2.4

Kernel 2.6 is much better at devices, like usb external disks. The team kernel2.6/hal/gnome-volume-manager is working very well together, they recognize and mount almost everything you plug in the usb ports. You don't need either scsi emulation, nor for the cd- recorder.

2) VERY big swap partition.

With 256 Mb of RAM, taking a 22 Gb partition to use as virtual ram is largely exceeding addressing capabilities of your computer. I think you were using hda2 to store user files, that is a good idea, so you don't need knoppix when your system hangs, you just reinstall on old root partition, and you have all your data safe in another place.

3) Where do the logical partition are allocated? It seems that the extended partition contains only hda5, not the rest of free space. This is a problem, you cannot allocate hda6 anywhere.

well... fourth problem:

Windows!!! (it means, strange partition allocation, big and risky disk usage, viruses, no separated swap memory...)

Solution:

Install sarge stable directly:
When asked to partition, choose "manual".
Wipe hda4, and allocate all the free space to an extended partition.
Allocate no more than 1 G to swap (normally it is considered safe just "double of your memory" but it depends on your needs), then the rest to the new root partition (hda6). select your old hda3 and mount it under /home, without formatting. Install clean, everything you need, gnome is very stable now, kde too but a bit too complicated in terms of usability... Then copy back to /home/you everything you need that is in /home/home/ you, same for /home/etc to /etc (this is because you mounted old root into home.

Last: ALWAYS have a separate /home, possibly with a backup of /etc.