udev screwed up IR Palm syncing

I've found that moving to udev has screwed up my ability to sync over
infrared.

/dev/pilot used to be a link to /dev/ttyS1 which was created, I guess,
by irattach with /etc/default/irda-utils settings of:

    ENABLE="true"
    DISCOVERY="true"
    DEVICE="/dev/ttyS1"
    DONGLE="none"
    SETSERIAL=""

There isn't a /dev/pilot link now. Here is what I get when specifying
/dev/ttyS1 directly:

    $ pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyS1 -i ...

       Unable to bind to port: /dev/ttyS1
       Please use --help for more information

I think the ircomm and ircomm-tty modules used to be loaded
automatically, but I noticed that they weren't. However, loading them
manually didn't help.

Can anyone offer any configuration help here?