Creating a custom system

I don't know if this had been asked many many times, but I couldn't not find a (good) reference elsewhere. So, sorry if I am asking again.
(Any reference about this somewhere is much appreciated)

I use to develop some projects (mail gateways, content filtering etc) to many customers and I would like to save time in some operations I perform everytime.
This could be achieved by some scripts, backup etc, but I would be much more interested in having this with a pre-set install.

So, I decided to build my own debian CD having all I need (/etc files, Mysql DBs etc.)

I don't intend - at first thought - to custom debian packages that will part of the CD, I just would like to have a custom base system of my own into a custom Debian CD.

Here goes what I need to accomplish (but don't know how to do it):
1. Create a brand new base-system that I can chroot to it and add files/configs to it - based on 3.1
2. Create a bootable installation Debian 3.1 CD (CD 1 only) having my custom base-system in it.

Notes:
a) I am able to handle issues of CD size for step 2. So, don't worry about it.
b) I WANT to keep orignal installation procedure from original CD - if possible.
c) I wouldn't like to use any live CD available, because all of them I know will format whole disc before dumping live CD content (am I wrong)
d) I want to be able to use all original apt-get install/upgrade/dist-upgrade actions to keep system updated once installed

Is that possible to achieve? how?

Best regards.