Building a boot disk with initrd

I'm stuck with this...
I have a Debian Woody system with root on raid, and I wish to upgrade it.
First of all, I wish to build a set of boot floppies that could be used for booting and restart the complete system without troubles.

I've tried

# mkboot /dev/fd0

but this create a floppy with a vanilla lilo.conf, without reference to any initrd.img (I need it ... root is on /dev/md0). I've tried to customize this floppy, but it doesn't work neither on single disk installations... I think the trouble is the kernel that need initrd to mount root..

Is there a smart and working way to build a two-three set disk like i did with mkbootdisk under other systems ?

Thanks for the suggestions....

--
Diesis