Re: /etc/debian_version - the penny drops

David Jardine wrote:
> When upgrading to Sarge, I was asked if I wanted to keep my old
> entry in /etc/debian_version or have it replaced by the package's
> version.

You must have modified it from the previous package in some way.  (Or
at least dpkg thought you did.)  You can look at the old copy that
would be saved as .dpkg-old to compare.  It is the md5sum that matters
so whitespace counts.

> I was surprised to see that the default was to keep the old entry
> (which explains why people using the --assume-yes option would
> not see a change).

Files in /etc are conffiles and are treated specially.  If the
sysadmin modifies the files then packages need to preserve them and
ask if they should be overwritten.

If the file was pristine and matched the md5sum of the previous
package then it would not be thought to have changed and would have
been replaced automatically.  But if a file in /etc has been changed
then dpkg will ask you if you want to keep your version (by default)
or take the new version.  Generally this is a good practice.

Bob