Re: How useful is apt-spy?

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 02:00:18PM -0800, Greg Madden wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 June 2005 12:45 pm, David Jardine wrote:
> > Wanting to upgrade from Woody to Sarge and having a slow modem
> > (not one of those ultra-modern 56K things), I thought apt-spy
> > might be a useful thing to use to find the fastest mirror.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Might I have been better off just looking for the server
> > nearest to me geographically?
> >

> You can use 'netselect <mirror(s)>' this way you check just one or as
> many as you want to type in. I concur though that you probably don't
> need the fastest mirror on a dial-up < 56k modem :-)

I don't need the mirror that can pump stuff out the fastest, but
I do need (well, would like to have) a connection from here to a
mirror that makes my modem the limiting factor, not the reliability
of the connection.

Thanks for the "netselect" tip.  I'll look into that.

Cheers,
David

--
David Jardine

"Running Debian GNU/Linux and
loving every minute of it."  -L. von Sacher-M.(1835-1895)