Re: Newbie needs help fine tuning sarge

--- Matthias Kaeppler <nospam@digitalraid.com> wrote:

> j Mak wrote:
> > 1  My /apt/sources.list is empty, where can i find
> > repository addresses.
>
> If it is empty, I suggest you first run apt-setup.
> This will create a
> first sources.list for you, and will offer you a
> long list of debian
> mirrors from all around the world.
> These are for official packages only!
>
> You will probably also want to add these to your
> sources.list:
>
> # mplayer, acroread, LAME, etc.
> deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ stable main
>
> # Skype, Java 5, Real Player, Flash, etc.
> deb http://archive.unable-to-package.org/debian-utp
> sarge main contrib
> non-free restricted
>
> And in case you want to use the newest Xfce (the
> best Desktop ever *g*):
>
> # XFce 4.2+
> deb http://www.os-works.com/debian testing main
>
> > 2.Currntly, I can start synaptic only form the
> command
> > line but not from the menu, how can i fix this.
>
> That's very unlikely. If you have installed synaptic
> with apt, debian
> will run `update-menus` to put it in the system
> menu. Maybe you looked
> in the wrong place. It will probably be located in
> "Apps-->System"
>
> > 3.I connet to the internet using pon from the
> command
> > line, is there a   graphical interface for pon.
>
> Not that I know of. And what for, if I may ask? The
> command is `pon
> <provider>`. Which becomes even less to type if you
> `alias` it with a
> custom command. I see no need for a graphical
> interface here, do you?
>
> --
> Matthias Kaeppler

Thanks for everyone helping me setting up my
sources.list. Now, it works fine. But I still cannot
find anywhere  Nvidia drivers.

Also, I still cannot start synaptic from the menu. It
works fine from the command line. But when I close
synaptic, it leaves the followin message in the
terminal window:

(synaptic:2788): Gtk-CRITICAL **:
gtk_tree_view_unref_tree_helper: assertion `node !=
NULL' failed

Could anyone help me interpreting this message?

Thanks a lot
jozsefmak