Re: Console Login

Kent West wrote:
> Robert Wolfe wrote:
>

>>Hi alL!  What would I need to get both of my Debian 3.1 boxes to boot
>>to a console mode login prompt instead of going to a GUI login after
>>booting up?
>>

> As stated at the beginning of this thread, remove any login managers you
> have installed; "aptitude purge wdm gdm xdm kdm" should do it.

There is another way. You can set up the init levels to be able to
change this the way most other distro's do it.

Example: if xdm and gdm installed.

update-rc.d -f xdm remove
update-rc.d -f xdm start 99 3 4 5 . stop 01 0 1 2 6 .
update-rc.d -f gdm remove
update-rc.d -f gdm start 99 3 4 5 . stop 01 0 1 2 6 .

This will remove the startup links in runlevels 1 and 2.

Then you can change the runlevel by editing /etc/inittab and changing
this line:
# The default runlevel.
id:3:initdefault: <------ change the number to 2 to boot up in console
mode. If you want to change to runlevel 3 and still have gdm available
just change the number back to 3.

Or you can type "init 3" or "init 2" as root to do this on the fly.

--
B. L. Jilek 52597432             | ICQ: 83785391
bljilek@yahoo.com|Safer, Faster, | Yahoo: bljilek