X configuration probs

Hello everyone,
                         I am basically a redhat linux user &
tryingout the debian distro.
 I have written the XFree86 file but when trying the command X or
startx it is refusing to start but when I am using X -xf86config
/etc/X11/XFree86 the server is starting but the GNOME env is not
appearing. The config files r also present in /usr/X11R6. I have herd
that there is no command equivalent to redhat-config-xfree86 which
configures automatically.
                         Please help me out.
Frm,
Abhishek.