Re: Sound over X

Having failed with NAS, here is what I have done with esound.

esound was already installed (part of Gnome) on both the laptop and the
desktop.

First I have to configure the server on the laptop:

I've changed the file /etc/esd.conf to show:

[esd]
auto_spawn=1
spawn_options=-terminate -nobeeps -as 5
spawn_wait_ms=100
# default options are used in spawned and non-spawned mode
default_options=-public -tcp -promiscuous

The important bits here are the first and last lines.

After this is done you start esd in the background by using:

esd &

I then installed esound-clients on the laptop and did:

esdplay test.wav

Got nothing!

Ran alsamixer and unmuted, tried again: SUCCESS!

So, I installed esound-clients on the desktop, ran the following command:

esdplay -s laptop test.wav

SUCCESS!

Then I configured xmms on the desktop to use the eSound output and specified
the hostname of my laptop as the destination.

SUCCESS!!!

I haven't yet found how to use esddsp, which I believe I need to use xine or
whatever. I just get no noise at all and no error message - dagnabbit!

Cheers,
Peter

--
BOFH excuse #53:

Little hamster in running wheel had coronary; waiting for replacement to be
Fedexed from Wyoming

--
BOFH excuse #260:

We're upgrading /dev/null