Re: nano and pine

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 08:41:38PM -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I've had nano - a free replacement for pico, the editor which comes
> with pine - installed with pine without any trouble.  But I just tried
> to upgrade to pine 4.63, using the .deb file from washington.edu, and
> it bailed out because nano takes over /usr/bin/pico (which I hadn't
> realised).  So, I purged nano, and installed pine.  Now, when I try to
> reinstall nano, _it_ bails because /usr/bin/pico belongs to the pine
> package.  Is there any way I can force aptitude to install nano over
> pine's pico?

That's what you get for using packages from untrusted sources :-)
Email the UW developers and tell them to read up on diversions.
Alternatively, you can do it yourself.  I don't know much about how
diversions work, but essentially you have one package inform the dpkg
database that it is taking over a file that is normally owned by another
package.  If that other package is then upgraded, the files that would
collide are given an alternate name.  dpkg tracks everything so that if
you remove the package that installed the diversion, the other package's
files are moved to where they belong.

There is a way for you to set this manually as well.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr