Re: root is unable to change file permissions!

Using lsattr, see is the immutable flag has been set. Normally, no flags
should be set:

bob@sonic:~> lsattr *.txt
----------------- 34sp-userguide.txt

If the immutable flag has been set, you can unset it with

  chattr -i filename

See "man lsattr" and "man chattr".

While this will (hopefully) solve your immediate problem, the larger problem
is that your system was possibly compromised, and the cracker has been
messing with your flags. Which means you need to do major surgery on it
(reinstall, tighten firewall rules, etc).

good luck,
RS