Re: many mail accounts and imap and postfix

Mauricio wrote:
What if the user account only exists for mail? I am wondering in the case a given user has only mail in the machine; he cannot log into it (as in ssh'ing into it, but would be able to still do imap) and his account does not exist in /etc/passwd. How would that work?

If you cannot have the account in /etc/passwd then Postfix can handle this with virtual users. Dovecot has a variety of ways of doing authentication, not all of which require host logins.

> Next install amavisd-new and configure it. This isn't quick, but it > isn't too hard either. What amavisd-new will do is pass mail to > virus scanners and spamassassin, then pass it back to Postfix for > delivery.

    I guess that is where I will spend most of my time then. =O

There are lots of guides out there - Google for "postfix amavisd-new"

> As for replying to mail, the return address is determined by the MUA > (mail client). Sylpheed-claws and Thunderbird both allow you to do > what you want (as do most other MUAs).

I see now! I always wondered about that. But, in Mozilla, I would kinda of have to create a different email account for each return email aaddress I would like to use, which could be very exciting: would each account try to check mail before sending a reply?

If you use Mozilla Thunderbird you can use an extension to allow you to manually enter any return address you like on a per-mail basis.

--
Keith Edmunds

|  Tiger Computing Ltd  |  Helping businesses make the most of Linux  |
|  "The Linux Company"  |    http://www.TheLinuxConsultancy.co.uk     |