Re: Move from i386 to ia64?

In article <[🔎] db2543505052523471ef0b4af@mail.gmail.com>,
Paolo Alexis Falcone  <pfalcone@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 5/26/05, Chris Boot <bootc@bootc.net> wrote:
>> Can I upgrade the kernel without upgrading the userspace apps?
>
>If you'd run in 64 bit mode - No.

In fact, you can. I built a 64 bits kernel on my amd64 workstation,
then installed that kernel (dpkg -i --force-architecture linux.deb)
on a 32 bits sarge installation. Ofcourse that box does have an
em64t capable processor.

It actually boots, and works fine.

You then have a 32 bits userland with a 64 bits kernel.

Advantages are that you can use 4 GB of memory per process
(no more 3/1 GB split), and you can better take advantage of
a lot of memory - no more low memory, high memory, PAE, etc.

Mike.