Re: OT Required Options?

Martin Dickopp <martin@zero-based.org> writes:

> John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> writes:
>> Martin writes:
>>> Apparently, command line programs exist for Microsoft Windows which
>>> can only be run successfully if at least one command line option is
>>> provided to them.
>>
>> That's true of Unix and Linux as well.
>
> Can you cite a Unix or GNU/Linux command line program which has this
> property? I cannot think of even one, but maybe that's just my lack of
> imagination. :)

You mean like e.g. rmdir and rm:

Linux/Debian:

$ rmdir
rmdir: too few arguments
Try `rmdir --help' for more information.
$ rm
rm: too few arguments
Try `rm --help' for more information.

UNIX/Solaris 10:

% rmdir
Usage: rmdir [-ps] dirname ...
% rm
usage: rm [-fiRr] file ...

Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole      No it isn't.  L. E. J. Brouwer