Re: DCOP problems with kate and konqueror

"s. keeling" <keeling@spots.ab.ca> wrote:
Incoming from Marc Shapiro:

"s. keeling" <keeling@spots.ab.ca> wrote:

Incoming from Marc Shapiro:

Just yesterday, I started having problems with kate. It will start up, and then give me errors about not being able to start the DCOP server

The last time I complained about something like that, some kde person
said I needed to restart kdeinit.

Well, that didn't work. To be sure, I powered the system down and rebooted to make sure EVERYTHING was restarted. The problem remained. I noticed that one of the error messages said "DCOPServer self-test failed" so I figured that maybe it had been corrupted and needed to be

Sometimes, that means a lock file is left lying around from an old
session.  Blow away the lock and it regains its sanity.  /var/lock/* ?
Alternatively, is there anything in /etc/init.d that you can run to
force some relevant K-ish process to cycle?

What is DCOP, anyway?

One huge pain in the butt as far as I'm concerned.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to solve this? Or should I just eliminate ALL of KDE and its apps and save myself a whole lot of disk space!

That's what I did.

Well, it looks like everything has started working, again. I have a timed reminder which currently pops up konquereor a 18 minutes after sunset every night with a specific page for that night. It has been coming up blank since this problem started, but last night my wife (who was at the computer) pointed out that konqueror had come up and was displaying the correct page. When she was done with the computer I checked out kate and it seems to be working OK. The UI has changed a lot and will take a little getting used to, but I can live with that. I then closed konsole and restarted it. Everything is just fine. Now I wish I knew why it suddenly started to work, again. I have NOT rebooted the computer. (When I do reboot, or even just close X, my wife complains that she has lost all the tabs that she left open in Firefox.)

Marc