Re: Changes to apt-get

On (24/05/05 10:21), Ionut Georgescu wrote:
> chmod? NEVER!
>
> install sudo and run either
>
> sudo vi /etc/apt/source.list
> 	or
> sudo kate /etc/apt/source.list
>
> The best is the first one, of course. ;-)
>

> To setup sudo:
> apt-get install sudo
> su -
> vi/joe/emacs /etc/sudoers
> and add an entry with your username, for example
>
> george  ALL=(ALL) ALL
>
> This way you can execute commands as root by just prepending sudo. It
> will ask for you password and remember it for a while, so you don't have
> to enter it every time. sudo will forget the password after about 5
> minutes of inactivity.
>
> Regards,
> Ionut

Try gvim and vim; the former has a gui interface and will give you a
slow intro to vim (command line version) itself.  There is a very good
book 'Vi IMproved' by Steve Qualine.  Learning vim is well worth the
effort and if you are ever confronted with a system that only has vi
available, your new skills will be invaluable.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...