Re: Trouble with LILO...

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 11:13:35AM -0400, Thomas Chadwick wrote:

> I have kind of a unique situation, and googling for help hasn't really
> turned up anything that's applicable, so I'm turning to the mailing list
> for some help.  Here's the run-down:
>
> Installed Debian (Woody stable) on a fairly old computer.  I wanted to use
> a huge (120GB) harddrive, but the BIOS doesn't support huge IDE drives, so
> I did the following:
>
> Installed Windows 98 on a 545MB HDD (Master on the Primary IDE Channel, aka
> /dev/hda1).
> Installed Debian on a 120GB HDD (Master on the Secondary IDE Channel, aka
> /dev/hdc1).
> Used loadlin to boot into Debian Linux.
>
> This has worked great for me.  I simply told the BIOS there was only 1 HDD
> installed (the 545MB one), and it happily booted into Windows, which then
> happily ran loadlin, which happily booted Debian.  The kernel, which talks
> to the IDE controller directly, had no trouble finding, mounting, and using
> /dev/hdc1.
>
> However, I recently upgraded the MOBO, and since the BIOS on the new MOBO
> supports huge IDE drives, I'd like to get rid of the funky boot process
> described above, and boot directly into Linux using LILO.
>
> From everything I read, the boot device does not have to be /dev/hda, so I
> figured I'd leave the 120GB HDD at /dev/hdc (and uninstall the 545MB drive
> altogether).  So... I created the following /etc/lilo.conf
>
> boot=/dev/hdc
> root=/dev/hdc1
> lba32
> vga=normal
> delay=100
> image=/vmlinuz
> initrd=/initrd.img
> read-only
>
> I ran lilo, which didn't have anything interesting to say other than the
> fact that /dev/hdc is not the 1st harddrive.
>
> I also ran "lilo -A /dev/hdc 1" to mark the 1st partition, /dev/hdc1, as
> bootable.
>
> Finally, I shutdown the machine, unplugged the 5454MB harddrive, powered
> up, and, instead of booting into Debian, I get:
>
> L01 01 01 01 01 01 [ad nauseum]
>
> Any clue what I did wrong?

One possibility is that after removing the little hard drive your BIOS
causes /dev/hdc to be identified as /dev/hda.

To test this, remove the little drive again, boot with a floppy[1] or
LiveCD[2] and see if you can mount /dev/hda1. If so, you should be
able to chroot to the mount directory, edit lilo.conf to use hda and
then reinstall lilo. You'll want to edit /etc/fstab as well.

[1] I recommend http://paud.sourceforge.net/ for a bootable floppy.
[2] I don't think a Woody installation CD will work for this, but I
may well be wrong.

--
PJR :-)