Re: .bash_profile not sourced on login

Dear Alphan and all,

Alphan Bayazit wrote:
For some reason, my .bash_profile is not sourced on login. I tried different users, and all have the same problem. I'm running a very recent installation of Sarge (updated).

which login? for ssh and virtual terminals, it is strange. (...)
> If you are talking about X session, it is completely different story.

Sorry for not mentioning it. It was under X... I guess in that case I don't have a "login shell". So what would be the proper place to set variables for terminals running in X?

(I checked and .bash_profile *is* sourced if I log in in a virtual terminal. (bash -l also source it.))

The main reason I wanted to have the file sourced is to have the GTK_IM_MODULE variable set, which I need in X. I could set it in my .bashrc, but .bash_profile seemed the more natural place... (Maybe just my own ignorance...)

The odd thing is that at work my computer runs Fedora and my .bash_profile is sourced in X.

Best to all,

Luis