Re: modem+kppp question..

On Thursday 05 May 2005 07:38 pm, Ishwar Rattan wrote:
> I am trying to connect to scholl dial-up via USRModem and Kppp.
> I configure the modem (including initialize string), but when
> dialed it gets connected to remote box, the message is displayed but
> stays stuck at:
>
> host:
> (in log window) but expecting CONNECT string from remote box.
> The remote box (school) uses PAP/CHAP with prompts
>
> host: ppp
> login: <my-username>
> password:<my-password>
>
> I tried it through terminal window (interactively), connects, ppp is
> set up (garbage chars seen) but I couldn't find a way to close window and
> put the connection in background (modem hangs up on closing the window).
>
> Any pointers?
> -ishwar

try pppconfig to configure pppd and then us
pon to connect and poff to terminate when you are done..
Another alternative is wvdial.  I like it a little better..

to help debug your kppp issue,  you might try running this command in a terminal prior to
starting your KPPP..
tail -f syslog  This will show you all the logged data from kppp.  If not, then you can
edit your kppp to log more data an dwhere you want it sent (I think)

anyway...  hope this helps...

--
Cheers: Mike

.. Now, a little humor compliments of Linux Fortune...

Lost: gray and white female cat.  Answers to electric can opener.