Regex expert needed

I am using PHP and I am trying to parse a string into substrings delimited by
a single character. In some instances this is a ',' in others it will be '='.

I think the php function preg_split is the one to use, but I need find the
right regular expression to match the delimeter character.  Not being an
expert and seeing its just not an obvious single character (see below) it has
confused me completely.

Unfortunately a subset of the substrings themselves may have ',' or '=' signs
in them, although each string in this subset will itself have had the
addslashes() function performed on it to escape internal quote characters and
then completely surrounded in a pair of single quote characters.

In otherwords my regular expression does not want to match a ',' (or in the
other case a '=') if it is inside an unescaped quote.

So can any regular expression experts out there help me define the right one
to match the criteria I have described.

TIA
--
Alan Chandler