Re: Samba update moved my shares (again)

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 07:48:25 +0100
Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sunday 24 April 2005 02:56, Kevin Krumwiede wrote:

> 2) That files are being moved into this position.
>
> This is the part that really suprises me.  In order to make that
> happen the installation software would have to parse an existing
> /etc/samba/smb.conf and figure out where the shares currently were,
> then move the data and update smb.conf, and all just to confuse the
> user.
>
> (I just looked over a previous post and you sort of imply - not sure I
>
> understood you correctly - that your data got moved but smb.conf did
> not get updated.  In this scenario I just cannot believe it is the
> samba installation doing it, but some other task on your system.  Have
> you looked in /etc/logrotate.d and checked nothing in there is moving
> stuff?)

Let me go over everything that happened...

1. I ran apt-get update/apt-get upgrade on or around April 7.  The next
day, I noticed that my shares were no longer accessible.  I thought they
had been deleted until I typed df, at which point I realized they had to
be somewhere.
   a. They were originally in /var/samba, which I believe I created.
The public share was owned by user samba, which I did create (according
to root's .bash_history) and the other one was owned by kevin.
   b. My shares were moved to /var/lib/samba, and user samba was deleted
from my system.
   c. /etc/samba/smb.conf was not updated, which is why I couldn't
access my shares.

2. I put my shares back in /var/samba, and let root own the public
share.  All was well with the universe.

3. When I ran update/upgrade last week, samba was updated again.  I
immediately checked, and sure enough, my shares had again been moved
from /var/samba to /var/lib/samba.

I have been running update/upgrade weekly for months, and never
encountered this problem before.

Krum