Re: SSH Blocking

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Nick Miller wrote:

>   I maintain a couple of exim mail servers on the Internet and I have
> noticed that a lot of people will try to gain access to these machines
> by trying multiple SSH logins with all sorts of names. I am wondering if
> there is an option in SSHD to block an IP after a certain amount of
> failed login attempts as any user?

- you should be disallowing ALL ssh connections to begin with
	and disallow remote ssh loing as root

- you should only allow ssh login from ip# that you know about

- use /etc/hosts.deny to deny everything
	ALL:ALL

- use /etc/hosts.allow to allow incoming ssh from ip# you trust
	sshd:  192.168.1.1  w.x.y.z

- even you, knowing your login and passwd, will not be able to
  log into the system if you turn on tcpwrappers for ssh

c ya
alvin