Re: esd hanging

Todd A. Jacobs wrote:

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 02:33:23PM -0700, Chuck Williams wrote:

I've got a problem with esd hanging in certain circumstances but not

You didn't really say anything about your sound card or the contents of
/etc/esound/esd.conf, so I'm not sure how much help anyone can be. You
might try making sure esd isn't autospawning, and that you have the
soundcard frequency set right.
Todd, thank you for the reply. Here is some of the information I omitted the first time:

1. The audio is integrated Intel ICH4, AC'97 compliant. Here is what lspci reports:

0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

2. esd.conf is configured not to autospawn. Gnome is configured in its sound settings to start esd. Here is the complete esd.conf config:

[esd]
auto_spawn=0
spawn_options=-terminate -nobeeps -as 5
spawn_wait_ms=100
# default options are used in spawned and non-spawned mode
default_options=

Also, I have been able to find no log messages at all related to the hang. For completeness, my user account (chuck) is in the audio group, /dev/dsp and all devices in /dev/snd are root:audio, /tmp/.esd/socket is chuck:chuck, and after the hang occurs and I manually killall -9 esd, lsof shows that no process has the sound devices open.

If I run esd for the first time out of my user account, before logging into Gnome, then all works fine from then on -- I have sound. However, if after a reboot I login to Gnome first, it successfully starts esd and plays its startup tones, but after that I can get no further sound, and if I kill and restart esd as chuck or root, the attempt to start esd hangs.

Any ideas?

Chuck