Re: Samba update moved my shares (again)

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
On 2005-04-23, Clive Menzies penned:

On (23/04/05 07:24), Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Historical UNIX-like filesystem hierarchies contained both static
and variable files under both /usr and /etc. In order to realize the
advantages mentioned above, the /var hierarchy was created and all
variable files were transferred from /usr to /var. Consequently /usr
can now be mounted read-only (if it is a separate filesystem).
Variable files have been transferred from /etc to /var over a longer
period as technology has permitted.

Ah, yes.

It seems to me I've seen more than a few bug reports in the last few
years relating to packages behaving poorly when /usr is read-only.
You're supposed to be able to mount /usr read-only, but it seems like
if you do so, you might as well expect to be filing some bug reports
of your own.

I have yet to experience this.  Everytime I set up a server I always
split out the filesystems and make /usr read-only.  The only issue
that I have encountered is that I have configured apt to remount rw
before starting an upgrade and then remount ro afterwards.  This is
an issue because, occasionally, a package is update for a library
used by a running process (e.g., libssl) and all of the running
processes need to be restarted manually after apt chokes and errors
out when the remount ro fails.  It is slightly annoying, but nothing
real serious, except when something requires that I restart basically
all the services (since I hate to reboot :).

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr