Tool for detecting and configuring printer?Please help!

Hi,
I've asked for ideas before on how to setup my Samsung ML-1510 printer,
and respondents have been very helpful, given me plenty of ideas. Plus
that I've done a lot of googling on the subject.
However, everytime I need to print something I have reboot into XP because
I have been incapable of setting up this printer.

My system is Debian Sarge, and I love it. But I do not understand enough
about CUPS, lpr, lpd etc to be able to see where the problem lies. This
printer plugs into a USB port, and if I type "lsusb" in command line I get

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 04e8:3242 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Cups message says "Could not find a suitable printer!"
I also looked at http://diwww.epfl.ch/~fleuret/installations.html#ml1710
but again was unsuccessful.

Please, is there no tool which will simply detect the printer, whichever
USB port it is plugged to? Which will take me through a step by step
process to install this?

MTIA

Agustin