Re: alice

Peace,

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:06:00 -0400, "Peter Smerdon" <psmerdon@magma.ca>
said:
> Hello
>
> I read with some interest your post to the debian mailing list
> regarding your server alice. You offer a shell on a debian machine?

Yes, we offer accounts, shell access and vnc access to X11, web space,
email, etc.  The host (alice.nipl.net) is running Sarge, and has a fast
link to the Internet.  Alice has fairly limited resources at the moment,
however I am hoping we will be able to upgrade soon.  This is a free
service.  Donations are welcome so long as we can use them; even a small
donation could greatly improve the quality of service for everyone.

Obviously there is huge potential for people to abuse this offer, I can
only offer unrestricted accounts to people I trust; I need to know a bit
about you before I can give you a shell/X11 account.  If you can get
someone to vouch for you, like a personal reference, that would help
too, preferably someone I might have heard of.  Do you have a page on
orkut.com or any similar "trust network"?  If you can really convince me
you are 100% trustworthy, and competent at sysadmin, I am willing to
offer root access via sudo so you can install packages, etc.

A few conditions of use are listed at http://service.nipl.net/, the most
important of which are "no pornography" and "no unexplained encrypted
data".  We intend to make the details of any unexplained offense, and
the offender, very public; and to report crime to the authorities.
Don't abuse this service!

There are no specific limits on traffic, CPU usage or storage, besides
the capabilities of the server, however if we are unable to pay for the
traffic, or people complain about unfair usage, limits may be introduced
temporarily.

> I read the website, you mentioned help/teaching with programming. Can
> you provide me with more information?

I'm offering to help people learn programming (using free software).  I
can teach sh, perl, C, C++, Java, python, assembly language, brace (a
language I am developing), etc.  I am also interested in learning new
languages with help from people who already know them,
particularly haskell, ocaml and mercury; and in working on programming
projects together.

Peter, please let me know if you're interested in any of this.

thanks,

Sam