Re: Debian stable, OpenSSH, PAM, and password expiration

Clive Menzies wrote:
On (15/04/05 17:51), FICOS wrote:
Is this still the case?  Would I need to use the SSH server from
unstable to get password aging to work?  If I understand the Debian
branches right, though, unstable isn't covered by the security team,
which doesn't sound like something I want to live with.  The other
option would seem to be just installing OpenSSH from source and keep an
eye out for patches, but the reason I went to Debian for this box was to
get away from this server's previous incarnation, which was an
unmanageable mix of RPMs from several different distribs and
compiled-from-source apps.

You have two (amongst many choices):
Upgrade to sarge (which will be the next stable) - not recommended for
servers exposed to the internet but on a LAN, are very solid.

Obtain a backport of a later version of ssh:
http://backports.org/

Be very careful about this.  Especially, since SSH provides essentially
unrestricted access to your machince (depending on the rest of your
setup).  I am not saying that Norbert doesn't do a good job of keeping
up with the security advisories, simply that you want to be judicios
about what software you change on your Debian Stable machine. Otherwise,
why bother with unstable?

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez