Re: pose crashing: how to track responsible package?

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 06:43:20AM -0700, Eric House wrote:
| pose 3.5-7 (emulator for PalmOS handheld software) is crashing for me
| on startup (if there's no .poserc present) or on right mouseclick.
| I'm on an up-to-date Debian testing system.  The previous version of
| pose, which I'd probably had for close to a year, was working ok, but I
| also updated several libraries on which it depends at the same time, so
| I don't really know whether pose is to blame.
|
| The error looks like a null dereference.  Here are the last few lines
| from strace.
|
| --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
| +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++
|
| To be honest, though, I have no experience with strace so I don't know
| what to make of the results.

strace prints out all of the system calls (C functions implemented by
the kernel for use by userspace programs) the program makes.  There is
a matching program 'ltrace' for printing library calls (C functions
implemented by other userspace libraries).  If you understand C or
programming, then just read through the timeline of functions called,
the arguments and return values.

| I'll eventually find time to build pose from sources and run under
| gdb, but in the interim does anybody have tips for getting more
| details on what's wrong from the binary.

Obtaining a core file may be helpful.  Run 'ulimit -c unlimited' to
set the size limit high enough so that a core file is actually
generated.  OTOH if all the binaries are stripped you won't get any
useful information from it.  You may need to rebuild the package with
DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="nostrip" set in your environment so that debugging
symbols are left in the binary.

HTH,
-D

--
The truly righteous man attains life,
but he who pursues evil goes to his death.