eth0 configuration broke after last upgrade

after last upgrade after booting I find myself with eth0 defined but not acquiring an address.

running sudo ifup eth0 manually triggers DHCP request and proper network configuration. Also stopping and restarting the ifplugd daemon manually after boot solves the problem.

system is sid with hotplug and ifplugd.

The ifplugd process is up and running upon booting
bob@t40:/var/log$ ps aux |grep ifplug
root 7280 0.0 0.0 1604 528 ? Ss 18:08 0:00 /usr/sbin/ifplugd -i eth0 -q -f -u0 -d10 -w -I

because of ifplugd the eth0 is not flagged auto

bob@t40:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
(snip)
iface eth0 inet dhcp

(btw at boot time I have always seen:
Wed Apr 6 17:59:53 2005: Starting Network Interface Plugging Daemon:Sorry, there is already an instance of ifplugd for eth0 running.
What has already started ifplugd once ????)

I have grepped and browsed through various /var/log logs but could not find anything evident.

Can any kind soul help me debug this ?

TIA,
Bob