Re: Modules_install error

On Wednesday 06 April 2005 08:07, RituRaj wrote:
>Hi all;
>
>I am compiling 2.4.29 on redhat 9( i am sorry for
>asking the question here). I am simply copying the
>config file of 2.4.20-8(redhat default) as .config in
>my source dir of 2.4.29.

Did you, after copying those .configs in, do a 'make oldconfig'?

This is a utility built into the Makefile that allows the differences
in how things are done to be incorporated into a newer .config.  It
may ask you some questions in order to do that.

>The compilation has been successful on 2 machines.

I'm amazed that it worked at all.

>However on one machine it gives error in "make
>modules_install"
>
>depmod: /opt/Xilinx6.3/bin/lin/wdreg is not an ELF
>file
>depmod: /opt/Xilinx6.3/bin/lin/install_drv is not an
>ELF file
>depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
>/lib/modules/2.4.29custom1/kernel/crypto/autoload.o
>depmod:         crypto_alg_lookup
>depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
>/lib/modules/2.4.29custom1/kernel/crypto/proc.o
>depmod:         crypto_alg_sem
>depmod:         crypto_alg_list
>depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
>/lib/modules/misc/windrvr6.o
>depmod:         usb_ifnum_to_if_Rsmp_7f504340
>depmod:         usb_alloc_urb_Rsmp_37eb1efb
>depmod:         usb_register_Rsmp_6ab484a9
>depmod:         usb_set_interface_Rsmp_fc4b0efa
>depmod:         usb_clear_halt_Rsmp_3b248300
>depmod:         usb_deregister_Rsmp_a38a432d
>depmod:         usb_submit_urb_Rsmp_87e0f069
>depmod:         usb_free_urb_Rsmp_986294e5
>depmod:         usb_unlink_urb_Rsmp_1a73da9d
>make: *** [_modinst_post] Error 1
>

>It seems that modules_install runs depmod but fails
>for some reason. The modules dependency is not the
>issue as the compilation has been successful with same
>default redhat kernel config file (being copied as
>.config) on other 2 machines.
>Why is depmod looking in /opt? My modules.conf file
>does not have any path directive.
>I have googled but only found a few open ended
>questions. Any pointers please?
>
>Thanks and Regards;
>Rituraj

Somethings fubar someplace.  Start it over again from scratch.

I also maintain continuity of .config's by copying, but you _must_,
after the copying, do a 'make oldconfig' and answer its questions.
I've never had a problem like that unless a patch was bad & it
scrolled offscreen un-noticed.  I've also had to download the kernel
archive again a couple of times, but only if getting the .bz2
versions, the .gz have always worked from the gitgo.  Its also bad
form to copy those .config's to a different machine, always get it
from the machine you are going to build it on in order to maintain
the continuity _for that hardware_.

I do this often enough I've long since relegated the drudgery of a
kernel build to a couple of scripts that I have to edit the variables
of each time I run them, but they then take care of the building and
configuring of a new kernels src tree on my hard drive, then after
I've fixed the second script to $VER match the makefile, it gets run
to build and install the kernel, leaving me with the 30 second job of
editing /boot/grub/grub.conf.  I can, literally, download a new
patchset, tweek those two scripts, run them, and be rebooted into a
new kernel in about 25 minutes elapsed time if an fsck doesn't catch
me up, 8 to 10 of which is the runtime of the second script.

Everyone who does this "keeping up with the Jones's" should over time,
develop their own personal bag of tricks such as those 2 scripts.

A perusal of the bash man pages can be very educational, bash itself
is a pretty powerfull language.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)