Re: when apt grants Release file information?

Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 05:21:00PM +0100, Chris Boot wrote:
in the strace file -- there is no line about reading Release files
for repositories... so when does it really grants all Release files
information???
I would guess when you do an 'apt-get update'...?
How then it can be used for pining packages? or in other words -- how
apt-get uses read during update Release information? is it stored
anywhere intermediately?

P.S. please CC to me plz plz
Well, I must admit I'm not an apt expert at all. But if you're pinning a package you're preventing it from being updated with an apt-get upgrade, aren't you? Or at least keeping to a certain repository. So, when you apt-get update you're just updating apt-get's local cache of Releases and so on, and the pin will only take effect when you try to apt-get upgrade.

So, place your pin, apt-get update, then your pin will work when you use apt-get upgrade or 'apt-get -V install --reinstall --print-uris sip4'.

That is, if I understand the whole process! :-)

HTH,
Chris

--
Chris Boot